What is the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)?
The NSLP is a voluntary program available to all public schools, private schools, and residential child care institutions which agree to operate a non-profit program offering lunches meeting federal requirements to all children in attendance. Through the NSLP, public and non-profit private schools, preprimary classes in schools, and residential child care institutions receive cash reimbursement for each meal served. Participation in the program is voluntary. The sponsors of the program must:
- Serve meals that meet federal requirements
- Operate a non-profit program
- Offer free or reduced-price meals to eligible children based on household income
- Not identify nor discriminate against any eligible student
- Operate food service for all students without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability