Battle of the Books
It is time to sign up for the Battle of the Books program. Students who would like to participate in the Tuesday evening group at the Cary Area Library, should call the Library at 847-639-4210 to register. Those who would like to participate in the after school groups should return permission slips to the school this week. Forms are available in the CJH office and have been given to all students.
To participate in the group, all your child needs to do is read 4 books (between now and January) from the Battle of the Books list and attend monthly meetings. The meetings offer fun and challenging activities that will have your 6th, 7th or 8th grader testing their brain power and engaging in friendly competition with their peers as they gear up for the big game show-type battle in January.
The Battle of the Books is a free program, sponsored by the Cary Education Foundation, the Cary Area Public Library and the Friends of the Cary Library. If you would like to donate books or funds to the Education Foundation to help defray the costs of this program, please contact Debbie Lazarski, 847-650-4156, firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOB Booklist 2016-17
- Al Capone Does My Shirts, by Gennifer Choldenko
- The Devil's Arithmetic, by Jane Yolen
- The Face on the Milk Carton, by Caroline Cooney
- Firegirl, by Tony Abbott
- Fish in a Tree, by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen
- Heat, by Mike Lupica
- The House of the Scorpion, by Nancy Farmer
- I Am Malala, Young Reader’s Edition, by Malala Yousafzai
- Kira-kira, by Cynthia Kadohata
- Missing May, by Cynthia Rylant
- The Teacher’s Funeral, by Richard Peck
- Terror at Bottle Creek, by Watt Key
- War Horse, by Michael Morpurgo
- The Wednesday Wars, by Gary D. Schmidt