When it is necessary to cancel school due to snow or extreme cold, the local radio stations will be notified as soon as the decision to cancel has been made. The notification will be broadcast between 6:00-7:00 am on WGN 720 AM, WBBM 780 AM, WAIT 850 AM, WZSR 105.5 FM, WZZN 94.7 FM and most major TV stations, including: Channel 2 (CBS), Channel 5 (NBC), Channel 7 (ABC), Channel 9 (WGN), Channel 32 (FOX), Cable Channel CLTV . Parents will be notified via the Honeywell Instant Alert system between 5:30-6:00 am.
Honeywell Instant Alert
Cary School District 26 uses the Instant Alert® automated calling system from Honeywell to contact parents/guardians with urgent messages such as school cancellations. This is a user-based system, meaning that the parent is responsible for keeping the information up to date.
This system will always call the primary number given to the school at the time of registration. Generally, this is the student's home phone number. However, the system allows individual parent-users to customize how they would like to be contacted other than this main number. For example, a parent can choose to receive the message on his/her mobile, work phone, or a SMS text message. Remember, anytime the contact information changes, the parent is responsible for updating this system, NOT the school. Follow the instructions given below to login to the Honeywell site.
Honeywell Instant AlertTM for Schools Parent User Interface
Register and create your account
- Go to the Honeywell Instant Alert for Schools website listed above.
- Click on ‘Parent’ in the New User box.
- Complete the student information form.
- Complete the corresponding screen.
- After receiving the Confirmation message click ‘Proceed’ to get started with Instant Alert.
- Note: Remember your Login Name and Password so you may use it to update your profile.
View and check details about yourself and your family members
- Upon successful login, click on ‘My Family.’
- Click on a parent name to view and edit parent details.
- Click on a student name to view details about your children enrolled in this school.
Configure alert settings for yourself
- Click on ‘Alert Setup.’
- Click on the check boxes to select which alert type you would like to have sent to which device. Click on ‘Save’ when complete.
- If you would like to add another contact device, select the device type and enter the device details. Select the person to whom the device belongs and click on ‘Add.’
- For e-mail, text messaging and pagers you may send yourself a test message. Click on ‘Send Test Message’ to send yourself a message.
View History of Alerts
Click on ‘Alert History’ to view Alerts that have been sent to you. Use the calendar icons and ‘Alert Type’ list to filter the Alerts.
Identify key contacts for your children
- Click on ‘Other Contacts.’
- Click on ‘Add New Contact’ and complete the form.
- Click on ‘Save’ when complete.
- If you would like this person to receive Alerts from the school, return to the ‘Alert Setup’ page to configure this person’s alert settings.