Beginning in the 2009-2010 school year all school districts in Illinois will be required by law to cover Internet safety topics with students grades 3-12. The new law will require school districts to cover the following areas at grade level appropriateness:
(1) Safe and responsible use of social networking websites, chat rooms, electronic mail, bulletin boards, instant messaging, and other means of communication on the Internet.
(2) Recognizing, avoiding, and reporting online solicitations of students, their classmates, and their friends by sexual predators.
(3) Risks of transmitting personal information on the Internet.
(4) Recognizing and avoiding unsolicited or deceptive communications received online.
(5) Recognizing and reporting online harassment and cyber-bullying.
(6) Reporting illegal activities and communications on the Internet.
(7) Copyright laws on written materials, photographs, music, and video.
A copy of the complete bill can be found here.
Digital Citizenship Links:
Children (Grades K-6)
Teens (Grades 7-12)
Other Available Resources