Dual Language Lottery Procedures
In order to meet the needs of diverse learners in the district, the Dual Language (DL) program will strive to fill DL classrooms with this breakdown:
* ½ heritage English students * ½ heritage Spanish students
As the District 26 Dual Language program is a two-teacher program, we have two DL sections per grade level, which includes Kindergarten. Per Illinois School Code, spots are reserved for identified English Learners (EL) and class sizes will compare to district averages.
The following requirements must be fulfilled for Non-EL students to be considered for participation in the lottery and acceptance into the Dual Language program.
Attend one of the Dual Language Informational sessions via Zoom
- Tuesday, March 1st at 6:00-7:00 PM (English), 7:00 - 8:00 PM (Español)
- Thursday, March 3rd at 10:00-11:00 AM (English), 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM (Español)
- Tuesday, May 3rd at 6:30 PM (English and Español)
- Zoom Link: tinyurl.com/55844j9k
Dual Language Informational Night Presentation
All families MUST submit the Dual Language Application form AND District 26 Kindergarten registration forms prior to the deadline. The deadline to submit is Friday, May 6th.
The lottery will adhere to the following procedures:
- If an applicant has a sibling currently in the Dual Language program, the student will automatically qualify for the Dual Language program (as long as they complete Dual Language application form and Kindergarten registration by Friday, May 6th).
- If the student selected is a twin, then both twins will be placed in the Dual Language program as long as the application and registration forms are completed on time.
- All incoming Spanish-speaking students identified as EL (per standardized assessments) will automatically enroll in the Dual Language program until capacity is reached.
- For English-speaking applicants, the lottery will occur on Wednesday, May 18th. A total of 20 English-speaking applicants (this number may change based on district average class-size numbers) will be selected and notified.
- Selected families MUST complete the Letter of Dual Language Letter of Commitment and Consent by Friday, May 27th.
- Families who were on the waitlist will begin to receive invitations on Monday, May 30th, if there are open spots available in the program.
In regards to the WaitList,
- After the initial spots are filled by English-speaking applicants, all applicants will be picked in order and assigned a number based on the order of their selection. We will monitor the registration of families into the Dual Language program throughout the summer. As open placements become available, wait list applicants will be invited in the order that they were selected in the initial lottery.
All families will be notified by mail of their acceptance or non-acceptance into the Dual Language Program by August 2022